I finally finished the mermaid doll. I started with a pattern for the tail and fin, but decided that it should be completely machine washable and dryable. This based on my experience with the one I made for my granddaughter a few years ago. She carried it around so much, it was filthy most of the time.
So I took another doll pattern, and used it as a guidline for the head, body, and arms, with of course, my own variations to make it work for this project.
The most inventive thing I did for this doll, tho, was to use pantyhose to line it as I put in the stuffing. It weighs nothing, will dry quickly and keeps the stuffing inside the doll where it's supposed to be.
The biggest challenge was the hair. I wanted it to be washable and to stay in place. So, it is made of yarn. But the placement was a puzzle. Penny, my roommate, and I both looked at dolls that our grandmothers made, and kinda went from there. I am not 100% pleased with the way it came out, but now I know what to do if I ever do one again.
Take a look in My Photos under Babies to see the final results.