Monday, September 15, 2008

Stitch N Pitch
Huge disappointment! And that doesn't even begin to describe my feelings about yesterday's game. Met Peter at the BART station about 11:45 and we walked over to the stadium thru an overpass. Have I ever told you how terrified I am of being somewhere I feel I can fall from? A chain link fence being the only thing between me and solid ground was not very comforting. Averted disaster and made it safely to the stadium. This was my first (and probably my last) trip to the Coliseum. Finally found our way to our seats, after being given a shirt at the gate. OK, that's cool. Tho, being the huge baseball fan I'm not, I had no idea who the player is. Where they were giving away the goody bags was clear on the other side of the stadium and on another level. So, bless his heart, Peter went to get our bags and those of Anita and Ed, who were already in their seats when we arrived. Imagine our disappointment when he came back with small tote bags from the Athletics, with 2 knitted patterns in it. That's it, only 2 photocopied knitted patterns. I guess the Texas Rangers are not a huge draw, so the stadium was only partially full, lots of empty seats. Which meant, in turn, that very few concession stands were open. Since Peter hiked for the bags (such as they were) I took off to find food and drinks. On our level, I had to walk about 1/2 way around the place to find an open concession stand. Got my hot dog & drink & beer for Peter. By the time I got back to our seats, my dog was cold! Yuk! I can get a better dog at Kaspar's for less $, less walking and it's hot when I get it. After a pretzel left over from the last home stand, Peter and I decided to leave at the end of the 5th inning. It was cold in the shade, the game was moving way too slow, and the food was horrible, not to mention the overwhelming goody bag. So we gave it up, went home. Peter said he was going to take a nap, and I crocheted from the comfort of my rocker/recliner. We parted company at the BART station. Maybe next year we will try the event in San Francisco.
How did other events around the country compare to ours? Let me know, I'd love to hear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto what she said!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cay. Ed and I opted to leave around the 7th inning, it was getting too cold for him (I brought more "layers" to wear. The game moved too slow. I did attend the SF game, Commuknity and Bobbins Nest Studios, two LYS fairly close to each other, rented a bus to go there and back, which was nice (if it weren't for the same guy who yakked loudly all the way up and all the way back. ATT Park is also quite cold and the seats are equally cramped. Also, the food is quite expensive there. S&P only gave a baseball cap, but Commuknity and Bobbins Nest gave us each a very nice goody bag (haven't looked through it completely, but I think it is just knitting related, no crochet). The only advantage to the A's game was that it was afternoon not evening.

Sharon said...

This is why I haven't attended a baseball game in, well, since I was about 10 years old. And nevermind how many years that's been! :-)

A Musician by Grace