Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Well, it has been so long since I've posted that I almost don't know where to start. So, I'll just try to take the things that have been happening one at a time.

Project Linus-at our guild meeting in Aug, we gave 51 afghans and approximately 50 preemie caps to Project Linus. These have all been made since the first of the year by the members of our guild chapter. We hope to have several more for them by the end of the year. I personally gave them another 6 of the little fleece blankies with crocheted trim that were not included in the above numbers.

San Mateo County Fair-Well, we all did very well at the fair. Penny won a blue ribbon (1st) for her cross stitch of a cat laying on books. The cat looks just like our Hazle. Peter has another blue ribbon for the ruana, and a white (3rd) for the cabled scarf. I got my second blue for the Russian Spiral Doily, and took red (2nd) for my sweater and Catty Corners Afghan.

Dawn's Scarf Project-I have 5 scarves completed, all done with using stitch guides and making my own patterns. A couple I have written down and the rest are on little bits of paper with notes. Probably should get them written out before I forget something important. My goal is 12 this year.

Other stuff-I finished the valance for my bathroom, which is from an old Magic Crochet pattern. It is actually a pattern for a panel, but I just wanted a valance, so I doubled the width and shortened it to 15". I love it. It makes me feel so good every time I take a shower. Yes, it's in the shower. That's where the window is.
I did just finish a new purse for me using a free pattern from Caron-of course I couldn't find the specified yarn, but it came out beautiful, IMHO.
My friend, Kitty, bought me the book Beautiful Crocheted Sweaters by Patricia Bevans at the friends of the library sale a while back. Well, I just won the lotto on an ebay deal on some gorgeous gray cotton blend yarn, so I have started the Starry Pullover from this book. It is made with a star stitch and a surface slip stitch. Of course, in 1992, no wrote patterns in XL so I'm having to make some size adjustments. Oh yea, it's worked side to side.
Just finished the book Hooked on Murder by Betty Hechtman. What a kick! A murder mystery with the main characters members of a crochet group. Quick read, just loved it. Looks like it will be a series, so come on Betty, get writing. I'm ready for the next book.
Going to the Stitch N Pitch in Oakland this Sunday-The A's are playing the Tx Rangers, but I'm going for the goody bag and hot dogs. Baseball is secondary in this outing.
I'm also teaching basic crochet and pattern reading to 4 of the ladies in our guild. They all know crochet, mostly what others have shown them how to do. We are using Jean Leinhausers book Learn to Crochet the Easy Way as our base. We are meeting every 2 weeks at my house becuz a month is just too long when you are trying to learn a new skill. And since we aren't having a meeting this month becuz of the ball game, we won't meet for the whole guild until in Oct. Way tooo long!
And speaking of Oct's guild meeting, we are changing the date from 10/18 to 10/11 so several of us can attend Karen Ratto-Whooley's class in top down sweaters. She will be teaching at a yarn store in Campbell, and Peter, Tom, Mike, Anita and myself want to go.

Well, I guess that's it for tonite. I'm sure there are other things that I could post about, but they can wait until the next time.

No comments: