Tuesday, September 05, 2006

CA State Fair
Well, I finally went to the fair last weekend. Had a good time and met my CP online friend, Wilma, in person for the first time. The first thing I saw when I walked in the door at the Home Arts building was Wilma's doll. As I was taking a picture of it, a lady came up to us, and it was Wilma herself. How exciting! She belongs to the Sacramento Crochet Guild and they had a very nice display set up including one lady who was using a spinning wheel.
The fair pictures are in my photo album. Some of them are not so great. I'm still learning how to use this digital camera, and I got a few fuzzy pics. But I posted them anyway so you could see what was there. A lot of these entries were behind glass w/spotlights on them, so it's kinda like taking pictures thru the big window at Macy's.
I did, however, find out that there should have been a critique sheet w/my entries when they were returned. I really checked those packages, so I know they were not there, but wish they had been. At this point, there is no way to get a copy, so I will just have to be more creative next year.
My overall impression of the fair was disappointment. I have been to the LA county fair, the Orange county fair, and the Alameda county fair, and I was expecting sensory overload at the state fair. Didn't get it! The home arts area was set up more like an expensive boutique. Beautiful things, but just not that many of them. Same for most of the things we did.
The thing I was the most impressed with were the awnings over the parking area. They are solar powered and rotate as the sun moves so your car stays in the shade. Of course, did not take a pic of that.
But, I am already making a list of things to hook and cook for the fair season next year. Depending on dates, may go to county fair or state fair, or maybe both. Dream big.

No comments: