Friday, January 11, 2008

Christmas Gifts 2007
Well, they did not end up being what was on my original list for this year, but I am proud of them anyway. The beanies for the girls is my own creation. I found a pattern with this cable in it, but after I started, the cable was the only thing I liked about it. So, frogged the whole thing and started over. I took notes as I made the first one, then went to the computer, wrote it out, took it back to my chair to start the second one. What I wrote out did not resemble what I crocheted at all-so back to the computer; first hat in hand, yarn and hook. Figured out what I did, crocheted the whole hat sitting in front of the computer. Third one was much easier, and the fourth I slid right thru. Yea! Pattern writing is a lot more difficult than you would think it to be. The yarns used are mostly Vanna's Choice as I had several single skeins in my stash, then they were trimmed with other yarns that have been hibernating also.
The scarf for Nicolle is a one of a kind-I bought the yarn from my LYS. It is hand painted sock yarn and is yummy. I keep using this word for this yarn. It is so soft, you just want to bury your face in it. I chose a pattern from one of my harmony guides, and just worked it until I ran out of yarn. I did edge it with a loose slip stitch on the wrong side.
The guys beanies I found the pattern online-don't have the url handy, but I think it was called checkerboard beanie. I experimented with Jason's and made 2, reversing the contrasting colors and then edged them together to make a reversible beanie. He hasn't received it yet as he is in the field on maneuvers getting ready to go back to Iraq. So we'll see how he likes when he gets back in a couple of weeks.
And last but not least, I made a neck cozy for my daughter using Rowan Cashsoft DK yarn. This stuff was a dream to work with. Another pattern of my own design. My friend Kitty went to Britex (sp) Fabrics in the city for the buttons, which appear to be the most gorgeous shade of green abalone that I have ever seen. And, I forgot to take a picture of it. That's what being rushed at the last minute will do to you. I did write down the pattern and plan on making another one soon, so if this pattern writing went the way of the beanie, I can figure it out while it is still fresh in my mind. Heidi did say she would take a pic and send to me. She also said she wore it yesterday and that it is very warm and oh so soft! Yes!
I have two friends that read a lot and always carry a book with them. So I made Paperback booktotes for them. Kitty's is a trellis stitch and Chelo's is done in basketweave. They both seemed to really like them.
The pics are in My Photos, Christmas 2007.

No comments: