Sunday, October 18, 2009

PYA
My new fav place to buy yarn is Piedmont Yarn and Apparel in Oakland.  It is on Piedmont Ave, which is a cute street and has just about anything you want there.  I saw a used bookstore, my other fav place to spend money, but have not had a chance to stop in there, yet.  There is also a Fentons Ice Cream Parlor, which I understand is sinful. Cute clothing stores, antiques, etc.  You can spend the entire day and not see it all.  And so many restaurants that making a choice is very hard.
Anyway, I digress.
Peter Franzi teaches classes at PYA and we had our guild meeting there last month.  The owner, Bente, helped me find a coordinating yarn to go with the Musette from China, so I can crochet "MY" Musette Vest. Also picked up the yarn for our one skein challenge.   I went week before last to the Crochet Circle on Tues.  Saw more yarn that I wanted, always, but need to wait.
But, Bente is on the search for yarn for my next project.  I really want it coned, sport weight, washable wool, in a red tweed.  I mean, if you are going to dream, get what you want!  I am sure there will be compromises in what I actually get because so far her search has not met all the criteria.  So, they may have to change some.
One of the reasons for wanting coned yarn is the size of the project.  I am guessing it will take approx 3,000 yds of yarn, but I am not sure that will be enuf.  So, on cones, better yardage, fewer ends to tie in, and usually most cost effective.  We will see.
Piedmont Yarn takes finished items on consignment, and I have several things there.  They sell original patterns designed by their customers.  Mine will be there soon, and Peter already has a portfolio in the store.  They offer lessons in knit, crochet, spinning, maybe others. They have a nice clean store with such a variety of yarns. Prices are quite reasonable, compared to other LYS I have visited.  So, if you are in the area, take a trip to the store.  I am sure you will not be disappointed.

No comments: