Sunday, March 25, 2012

There's More to Lemons

than lemonade.
Someone gifted us a couple of 1 lb bags of roasted no salt pistachios.  And our lemon tree runneth over.  We have been making lemonade like crazy.  I made lemon bars a couple of weeks ago.  But what to do with the pistachios?  Found a recipe for Lemon Pistachio Biscotti and decided that was the thing to do.  Never mind that I had never made biscotti before.  Nor is there a drop of Italian blood running thru the old veins.
Spent an afternoon shelling the pistachios. The ones that hadn't cracked were a bit of a challenge!  A regular nutcracker is a wee large for such a tiny nut.  But--it got done.
Yesterday, I got all my ingredients and recipe ready.  Zested my lemons, measured my ingredients and got started.
Baking biscotti is a 3 part process.  First you make the little loaves, put them on cookie sheets and bake.  Then you let them cool.  Next you slice them on the diagonal.  Back on the cookie sheets, back in the oven.  After a few minutes, you turn them over and back in the oven they go for the last round.
In all my wisdom, I decided they needed to be dipped in chocolate, so I melted a couple of candy bars, added a little milk to thin it out and then dipped each cookie in the chocolate.  Part in milk and part in dark chocolate.  Yummy!  Here they are drying on the cooling rack.

The flavor is to die for!  But I think I needed to bake just a little longer as they are not as crisp as they should be.  But, I'll eat them anyway!

No comments: